|Published||November 20, 2022|
Title: Systems Analyst 2 - COBOL & JCL
Location: Chicago, IL; Des Moines, IA; Fargo, ND or Sioux Falls, SD
We are looking for a developer with experience in Mainframe COBOL and JCL. Assembler skills, knowledge of Life Insurance, and/or insurance MF systems (Life/70, LifeComm, and CyberLife) a plus.
Job Summary: Under general direction, formulates and defines system scope and objectives. Devises or modifies procedures to solve complex problems considering computer equipment capacity and limitations, operating time and form of desired results. Prepares detailed specifications to write programs. Designs, codes, tests, debugs, documents and maintains those programs. May be competent to work on and responsible for nearly all phases of applications systems analysis and programming projects. Regularly provides guidance and training to less experienced analysts/programmers.
* Collaborate with analysts, designers, and programmers in conceptualizing and development of new software programs, applications and automation test scripts.
* Perform technical tasks, detailed analyses, and interpretation of technical problems requiring expertise and/or specialized knowledge in a systematic manner; apply subject matter expertise unique to the discipline.
* Exhibit expert understanding of the organization?s Systems Development Life Cycle.
* Play a leading role in the definition, development, and documentation of software's requirements, objectives, deliverables, and specifications on a project-by-project basis in collaboration with internal users and departments.
* Play a leading role in defining software development project plans, including scoping, scheduling, and implementation.
* Prepare and/or interpret business, functional, and non-functional requirements; create and maintain user-oriented applications and design specifications.
* Develop, test, document and implement applications according to standards and methodologies.
* Design, develop and test automation scripts. Follow automated test script guidelines and research issues in software through testing.
* Design, implement and maintain databases. Follow database standards and integrity controls, analyze information requirements, and develop database specifications.
* Plan, coordinate, and implement security measures to safeguard information resources against accidental or unauthorized modification, destruction, or disclosure.
* Design, run and monitor software functional and performance tests on new and existing programs for the purposes of correcting errors, isolating areas for improvement, and general debugging; administer critical analysis of test results and deliver solutions to problem areas.
* Recommend, schedule, and perform software improvements and upgrades.
* Must be on call during scheduled times and may be required to work for extended periods at night and on weekends in support of conversion, assisting in operational problems, or testing a new program.
* Maintain currency of professional, technical and business skills.
* Utilize established status report, time accounting and collaborative process to provide data for management.
* Exhibit deep understanding of application, data, integration plus general understanding of security, operational, and systems management architectural and design domains.
* Meet with decision makers, systems owners, and end users to define business requirements and systems goals, and identify and resolve business systems issues.
* Ensure compatibility and interoperability of systems.
* Review and analyze the effectiveness and efficiency of existing systems and develop strategies for improving or further leveraging these systems.
* Create and describe system design and models utilizing commonly used industry mechanisms like E-R Diagrams, UML models, flow charts, etc.
* Perform cost-benefit and return on investment analysis for proposed systems to aid management in making implementation decisions.
* Conduct research on hardware and software products to justify recommendations and to support purchasing efforts.
* Commitment to embrace Sammons Financial Group Companies shared values (Respect, Accountability, Integrity, and Openness)
* As stated within the Company Attendance and Punctuality policy, regular attendance is required and expected in order to meet the business service levels and workflow demands.
* College Degree in the field of computer science, information science, management information systems preferred
* Minimum 5 years' IT development experience or equivalent preferred
* Effective verbal and written communications skills and the ability to communicate with business partners and other IT staff
* Problem solving skills sufficient to perform research and recommend a proposed solution to problems
* Able to work on multiple tasks and meet established deadlines
* Able to effectively direct and coordinate the work of other team members on a project without having HR management responsibility for them
* Knowledge of computer programming languages as required for the system
* Criminal background check required.