|Location||Falls Church, VA|
|Date Posted||October 15, 2020|
Job Description Summary
This position is contingent upon award
MAXIMUS is looking for a System Architect leader on an IT project delivering mission critical services of national importance at a major cabinet agency. It is comprised of a series of legacy systems in disparate technologies that support significant processing volume upon, which several cross-agency business processes depend. This position will be a senior technical representative of Maximus for the project and will be accountable and responsible for system architecture that supports legacy technology and a modern technical stack, system/technical transition, operations and maintenance, system enhancements, and technology modernization. A system architect thinks through a business objective and collaborates with the team (across multiple to domains of expertise) to identify potential solutions and implementation strategies.
The system architect must have experience and expertise managing and/or supporting legacy system technologies such as COBOL and IBM Mainframe, and modern technology stacks including JAVA and Cloud computing. This includes experience in architecting, designing, developing, implementing and maintaining for enterprise applications. As team technical leader, the candidate will be required to develop short and long-term strategic goals as system architecture evolves. They play a vital role in the growth and development of other technologists on the team. Overall, the ideal candidate will lead or plan an important part in the following project components:
•Legacy system SDLC and operations and maintenance
•Date Center Operations
•Data Management and Sharing
•Systems Modernization (e.g., COBOL to Java; Mainframe to Cloud)
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
•Provide technical leadership, direction, and subject matter expertise to the team, the client, and/or other stakeholders (e.g., other contractors).
•Leadership and oversight for all in-place system architectures ensuring they align with the client’s requirements and unspecified needs.
•Utilize continuous process improvement framework to sustain and modernize existing technology (platform sustainment/standardization, code migration/optimization, portal modernization, data center consolidation, etc.)
•Evaluate business objectives and technical requirements to determine a technically sounds and feasible solution architecture. This includes developing solutions for legacy architecture and modern solution.
•Lead, present, and defends technical solutions to the federal client and other contractors.
•Develop working knowledge and expertise of federal client’s technical requirements, guidelines, and processes.
•Champions risk and issue management, and participates in mitigation and contingency actions to address the risks
•Create and sustain an environment that motivates high performance, recognize and reward excellence of individuals and teams
•Lead development of a technical roadmap system modernization.
•Develop a clear technical understanding of data management’s significance as it relates to technical solutions.
•Lead and manage a team of senior architects to engage internal teams to architect solutions, facilitate solutions design and manage implementations
•Guide and support Maximus’ response to RFIs, RFPs and RFQs, response development including writing of whitepapers and concept development
•Maintain vendor partnership levels and develop a strong vendor relationship with the technology counterparts
•Remain aware of technology trends that may be incorporated as of the project’s solution.
•Provide technical solution support during proposal development process, to include technology stack selection, solution architecture, and implementation methodology
•Provide guidance and oversight to the team’s DevSecOps approach to compliment the system architecture
•Contribute to agile development methodology process development
Education and Experience Requirements
•The individual must have at least 12 to 15 years of experience architecting, and managing enterprise Data Science solutions implementations with hands-on working experience across open source technology frameworks and platforms. The candidate must have over 10 years of experience with Java / J2EE, Web Services based application architecture and middleware platforms including exposure to.
•Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university required; Master's Degree preferred
•At least seven (7) years of related work experience required
•At least seven (7) to ten (10) years’ experience with technical management and leadership on Federal projects
•Must have a minimum of twelve (12) to fifteen (15) years developing and architecting software solutions using technologies such as COBOL, IBM Mainframe, JAVA, Scala, Clojure, Service Oriented Architecture, and Microservices platform, Cloud Native services in AWS / GCP / Azure
•Must have a minimum of twelve (12) to fifteen (15) years developing and architecting software solutions using database technologies (relational and non-relational) such as DB2, MySQL, Oracle, and/or PostgreSQL.
•Experience with open source technologies and platforms such as Spring, Angular, Hibernate. such as Spring Boot, LightBend Akka is preferred.
•Must be able to operate independently and lead a team of technologists.
•Ability to work with cross functional federal teams including operations, maintenance, security, end user support services, program management, etc.; understand the agency’s’ strategic directions (big picture); and articulate technical challenges, requirements & solutions to federal, other vendors & customers, and the team members for adaptability.
•Experience and expertise with HHS technical development guidelines and processes is preferred
•Good understanding of Data Management principles as they pertain to an overall technical solution.
•At least ten (10) years of hands-on experience in architecting, leading and delivering enterprise Java based solutions using J2EE and enterprise COTS applications.
•Recent hands-on experience leading a technical transition and system modernization effort for a federal client.
•Experience supporting systems in a FEDRamped environment is preferred.
•Designing and implementing enterprise AWS technologies-based solutions including leading a team of technical SMEs.
•Proven experience communicating with non-technical team members and client.
•Experience working with or leading legacy systems hosted in multiple on-premise environments
•At least five (5) years of recent experience directly guiding and mentoring technical SMEs and providing management of program technical tasks
•Professional implementation experience should include both project management and solution architecture tasks to include designing, implementing and improving business processes
•Strong analytical problem-solving abilities.
•Strong written and verbal communication skills, including presentation skills to federal client, senior management, both internal and external including SMEs
Additional Requirements as per contract/client:
•Green Card Holder / US Citizens only
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for the architectural integrity of the program and maintaining the enterprise vision of the solution from a technical and business perspective.
- Ensure that opportunities are identified and is a liaison between the functional and business groups to ensure that these opportunities are realized.
- Responsible for the business/technical solution and guiding what should be done within the program to ensure alignment with the enterprise strategy.
- Provide technical design, prototype development, and support to program management in the initiation, design, development, implementation, maintenance and management of service- based enterprise architecture.
- Play a key role of migrating three enterprise applications into a consolidated application which leverages DevOps, cloud computing, and Data Lake / big data technologies.
- Ensure adherence to the standards and solution.
- Lead enterprise architecture analysis, evaluation, design, integration, documentation, and development.
- Serve as technical liaison between program management and development stakeholders.
- Make key architectural decisions required of the enterprise technical platform and supporting technologies.
- Evaluate projects from a business and technical perspective, ensuring that planned development methodologies are appropriate and in line to support enterprise goals.
- Partner with leaders to provide enterprise solutions that are calculable, adaptable and in synchronization with evolving business requirements.
- Contribute to technical requirements and input to work plans, schedules, project estimates, resource plans and status reports.
- Ensure adherence to quality standards and technical reviews for enterprise architecture deliverables.
- Work to align enterprise IT strategy with business goals and objectives and the enterprise strategy.
- Actively support IT governance as it relates to alignment to the business, evaluation of technology trends, enterprise architecture models, alignment of IT strategy initiatives, enterprise architecture guiding principles and standards.
- Analyze technology industry and market trends to determine potential impact to enterprise services.
- Typically requires an advanced technical degree and a minimum of 12 years in progressively responsible positions.
- Individual contributor who oversees large, technically complex projects.
- Consistently works on complex assignments requiring independent action and a high degree of initiative to resolve issues.
- Position is recognized as a subject matter expert within a particular discipline.
- Some barriers to entry exist at this level (Sr Executive approval).
- Knowledgeable of emerging trends and may contribute to and influence best practices within discipline.
Since 1975, MAXIMUS has operated under its founding mission of Helping Government Serve the People, enabling citizens around the globe to successfully engage with their governments at all levels and across a variety of health and human services programs. MAXIMUS delivers innovative business process management and technology solutions that contribute to improved outcomes for citizens and higher levels of productivity, accuracy, accountability and efficiency of government-sponsored programs. With more than 30,000 employees worldwide, MAXIMUS is a proud partner to government agencies in the United States, Australia, Canada, Saudi Arabia, Singapore and the United Kingdom. For more information, visit https://www.maximus.com.
EEO Statement: Active military service members, their spouses, and veteran candidates often embody the core competencies MAXIMUS deems essential, and bring a resiliency and dependability that greatly enhances our workforce. We recognize your unique skills and experiences, and want to provide you with a career path that allows you to continue making a difference for our country. We’re proud of our connections to organizations dedicated to serving veterans and their families. If you are transitioning from military to civilian life, have prior service, are a retired veteran or a member of the National Guard or Reserves, or a spouse of an active military service member, we have challenging and rewarding career opportunities available for you. A committed and diverse workforce is our most important resource. MAXIMUS is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. MAXIMUS provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status or disabled status.