|Date Posted||December 18, 2020|
The energy at our company is contagious. We’re driven by our immense passion, as we constantly seek out challenges and identify new opportunities. We work hard to connect with our customers and earn their loyalty for life. Bring your talent to our company – our opportunities for growth span the globe. We will give you the training and opportunities to unleash your ambition.
- Minimum 10 years experience
- Required: PL1, JCL, DB2, IMS
- Highly recommended: Cobol, RPP, IMS DC/TM, IDz or RDz, Cobol, Agile, Scrum or SAFe methodologies, zDevOps, Any other relational DBMS
- Nice to have: REXX, Easytrieve, Endevor, CA7, Test Automation, IBM Tools (IWS, UCD, Connect Direct)
- BS in computer science, engineering, math or technical discipline or equivalent combination of education and recent, relevant work experience
- Work remotely until COVID-19 restrictions are lifted. Once restrictions are lifted, workers must be willing to sit onsite at any of the GM Innovation Centers (Austin, Atlanta, Phoenix, Warren/Detroit)
The Senior Mainframe Software Developer will take part of a major mainframe modernization. The job provides an exciting opportunity to work in a past faced environment utilizing a modern development toolkit with the introduction of Dev Ops tools and practices for the mainframe.
In this role the developer is responsible for developing or enhancing software applications using sound, repeatable, systematic and quantifiable approach to application development on a foundation of industry best practices and in accordance with software development/project methodology (Agile mostly).
The Software Developer will contribute to the definition of technical features and stories and will work hands-on writing code based on requirements and system specifications (features and user stories). Development activities will include updating existing software and/or developing new modules to address a specific need or solve a particular business or technical problem.
The role will include estimation, analysis, design, programming, unit/integration testing, deployment, code debugging and job scheduling whenever applicable. This developer will work in a highly collaborative and increasingly Agile environment and will assume a key role for various new solutions within the GPSC business.
This is a role that would suit someone with 10-15 years of Mainframe skills, who is a strong team player with a positive, confident attitude and a flexible approach. Prospective candidates will need creativity, decision-making skills, a drive for results, the ability to develop peer relationships, a strong technical learning capability, excellent communication skills and a strong work ethic. Being self-starter and able to work independently are must-have attributes.
In addition, the candidate will possess some or all of the following skills:
- Fully qualified individual contributor who has knowledge and understanding of all aspects of function
- Ability to operate with a high level of independent judgment and are typically responsible for implementing functional strategy, administering and coordinating programs, counseling and advising management
- Broad technical knowledge, training and understanding combined with creative and independent thinking
- Proficiency in many technical functions and ability to integrate across disciplines and platforms
- Performs complex assignments requiring a wider application of principles, theories and concepts
- Ability to interact with other senior personnel
- Ability to lead and provide direction to a team of professionals
- Estimation, Analysis, Design, Design reviews, Coding, Code reviews, unit testing in small increments of work (mainframe)
- Troubleshooting (root cause analysis) and debugging applications in different mainframe programming languages
- Software testing and quality assurance
- Document software code and ensure that technical documentation i.e. configuration guides, install guides, system designs, others meet requirements
- Develop and Integrate software with existing systems
- Maintain standards compliance
- Report status of assigned software development and/or maintenance tasks consistently following the specified software development methodology
- Communicate effectively with a positive and confident attitude
Required Qualifications and Technical skills:
- BS in computer science, engineering, math or technical discipline or equivalent combination of education and recent, relevant work experience is required
- Languages: PL/1 (Required), JCL,(Required) COBOL (Desirable)
- Database: IMS and DB2 (Both required)
- IDE: IBM Developer for Z Systems (RDz/IDz)
- IMS DC/TM for transactional processing
- Scheduling tools: IWS and/or CA7 (At least one of these)
- SCM: Endeavor and/or IBM DBB
- Good understanding of midrange platforms
Additional Attributes/Skills (desirable but not essential):
- Easytrieve programming
- ISPF Panels, CLIST, Skeletons, REXX
- Different IBM tools: ITOM, RACF, Connect-Direct, IBM Rational Functional Tester, IBM Optim
- Agile, SCRUM, KANBAN methodologies
- Test Automation
- ZDevOps and distributed SCM experience e.g. GIT
At Fast Switch – Great Lakes (FSGL), Our Purpose is Our People and Our Planet. We come to work each day and are reminded we are helping people find their success stories. Isn’t that cool? Also, Doing the right thing is our mantra. We act responsibly, give back to the communities we serve, and have a little fun along the way.
We at FSGL, have been doing this for 22 years with pride, dedication and plain old-fashioned hard work.
We're a financially strong, privately-held company that is 100% consultant and client focused.
We've differentiated ourselves by being fast, flexible, creative and honest. Throw out everything you've heard, seen, or felt about every other IT Consulting company. We do unique things, and we do them for Fortune 10 companies, Inc. 500 companies, and technology start-ups.
Our benefits are second to none and thanks to our flexible benefit options you can choose just the benefits that you need or want, options include:
- Medical and Dental (Fast Switch pays majority of the medical program)
- Personal Time Off (PTO) Program
- Long Term Disability (100% paid)
- Life Insurance (100% paid)
- 401(k) with immediate vesting and 3% (of salary) dollar-for-dollar match
Plus, we have a lucrative employee referral program and an employee recognition culture.
One of our pride points as that in 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019, Fast Switch was named one of the Top Work Places in Michigan by the Detroit Free Press.
To view all of our open positions, please go to: clientapps.jobadder.com/45103/fast-switch
Follow us on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/FastSwitchGL
Follow us on Instagram at: www.instagram.com/fastswitchgl/
Find us on LinkedIn at: www.linkedin.com/company/fast-switch-great-lakes
And you can become a fan of Fast Switch on Facebook at: https://tinyurl.com/v4p9yy7