|Date Posted||January 2, 2021|
Job Description Summary
We are seeking a part-time Sr. Unisys COBOL Programmer with extensive Internal Revenue Service (IRS) experience on legacy systems. The candidate will support the IRS Submission Processing systems to support our IRS client.
The Sr. COBOL Programmer will work as a member of an Integrated Project Team (IPT) with other Maximus senior programmers and IRS senior programmers to develop new or modify existing Unisys COBOL applications.
The candidate will review and analyze Unified Work Requests (UWR) or system requirements; write design documentation such as a Functional Specification Packages (FSP), Interface Control Document (ICD) or other design documentation; and develop COBOL programs, write a test plan, develop unit test cases with predetermined results, generate test data, execute the program using the test data and analyze the test results.
This is a Part-time position and will average approximately 20 hours a week.
*This position is contingent on contract funding.
PROJECT SPECIFIC JOB DUTIES
- Perform software development using and/or interfacing with IRS systems such as GMF, ERS, IMF Document Specific, BMF Document Specific, IDRS, and certain Compliance related systems development tasks include reviewing/analyzing the requirements, developing the functional design, supporting a design walkthrough, coding in Unisys COBOL, developing a unit test plan, creating test cases, developing test data, executing the program using the test data generated, analyzing the test results and updating the test plan to include the actual test results
- Support IRS Enterprise System Testing (EST) testing, as required
- Support IRS Performance testing, as required
- Support all functions of applications development, including requirement review and perform FSP walkthroughs, core record layout updates, Computer Operator Handbook (COH) updates and review, and transmittal deployment to EST
- Provide verbal and written reports, as needed. This may include creating Visio diagrams of application flowcharts, creating an Excel spreadsheet, updating a Requirements Traceability Matrix, consolidating information, etc.
- Provide transfer of knowledge to IRS developers/analysts, as required
- Provide status reports and attend meetings, as required
PROJECT SPECIFIC QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university (or additional four  years of related experience in lieu of degree) required
- At least eight (8) years of related experience required
- At least 5 years of experience with COBOL development on IRS specific systems, such as ERS, GMF, IMF Document Specific, BMF Document Specific, IDRS, AIMS, etc
- Experience with Unisys COBOL programming and ECL
- Experience with reviewing, analyzing and coordinating requirements to develop acceptable COBOL application programs
- Experience reviewing or creating design or functional documentation for programmers to develop COBOL code
- Experience in development and execution of test cases for Unit Testing, which includes development of a unit test plan, test cases with predetermined results, generating test data and executing the COBOL program using the test data and analyzing/reporting the test results
- Proven ability to work on and with teams comprised of the primary client and other client stakeholders dispersed across geographical sites
- Preferred qualifications include: experience with and/or knowledge of Internal Revenue Manuals (IRM) and Part 3 IRMs; Experience with reviewing/analyzing RIS/UWR requirements; Experience with reviewing, updating, and participating in a walkthrough of a Functional Specification Package (FSP); Experience with transmittal systems such a SQuA
Additional Requirements as per contract/client:
- Candidates must meet requirements to obtain and maintain an IRS Minimum Background Investigation (MBI) clearance (active IRS Moderate Risk MBI is a plus)
- Candidates must be a US Citizen or a Legal Permanent Resident (Green Card status) for 3 years, and be Federal Tax compliant
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead the development of software solutions that will meet or exceed business requirements; the development effort includes designing and implementing modules to the system specifications, conducting unit testing, troubleshooting issues and producing detailed proposals to resolve issues.
- May evaluate new coding techniques, tools, modules, and implementation as appropriate.
- Lead and mentor entry and mid-level developers.
- Consult on requirements elicitation and definition.
- Design software solutions per systems requirements.
- Code software solutions per designs.
- Code reviews, unit test, and integrate coded modules.
- Assist other developers in resolving issues by providing guidance and training.
- Support testing and remediate defects.
- Support users through troubleshooting and analysis of production logs and data.
- Investigate new solutions, tools, products, and techniques to incorporate into coding standards.
- Requires a minimum of 8 years of related experience with a Bachelor’s degree; or 6 years with a Master’s degree; or equivalent experience.
- Ability to perform complex tasks with minimal supervision and guidance.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Part-Time Worker Job Profile.
Since 1975, Maximus has operated under its founding mission of Helping Government Serve the People, enabling citizens around the globe to successfully engage with their governments at all levels and across a variety of health and human services programs. Maximus delivers innovative business process management and technology solutions that contribute to improved outcomes for citizens and higher levels of productivity, accuracy, accountability and efficiency of government-sponsored programs. With more than 30,000 employees worldwide, Maximus is a proud partner to government agencies in the United States, Australia, Canada, Saudi Arabia, Singapore and the United Kingdom. For more information, visit https://www.maximus.com.
EEO Statement: Active military service members, their spouses, and veteran candidates often embody the core competencies Maximus deems essential, and bring a resiliency and dependability that greatly enhances our workforce. We recognize your unique skills and experiences, and want to provide you with a career path that allows you to continue making a difference for our country. We’re proud of our connections to organizations dedicated to serving veterans and their families. If you are transitioning from military to civilian life, have prior service, are a retired veteran or a member of the National Guard or Reserves, or a spouse of an active military service member, we have challenging and rewarding career opportunities available for you. A committed and diverse workforce is our most important resource. Maximus is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. Maximus provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status or disabled status.