|Date Posted||August 28, 2020|
Job Description Summary
Maximus is seeking a part-time Senior COBOL Programmer to support our Internal Revenue Service (IRS) client located in New Carrollton MD.
•Create, update, unit test, and maintain IBM COBOL programs
•Update documentation such as Functional Specification Packages (FSPs) or Program Requirements Packages (PRPs) and/or Visio diagrams, and/or spreadsheets as needed
•Track requirements and create/execute unit test cases
•Write, analyze, review and/or provide comments on documentation such as Unified Work Requests (UWR), UWR responses and Internal Revenue Manuals (IRM), Interface Control Documents (ICD) Computer Operator Handbooks (COH)
•Rewrite programs, using workflow chart and diagram, and applying knowledge of computer capabilities, tax processing subject matter expertise, and symbolic logic.
•Perform or direct the revision, repair, or expansion of existing programs to increase operating efficiency or adapt to new requirements
•Consult with managerial, engineering, and technical personnel to clarify program intent, identify problems, and suggest changes
•Perform systems analysis and programming tasks to maintain and control the use of computer systems software
•Compile and write documentation of program development and subsequent revisions, inserting comments in the coded instructions so others can understand the program
•Prepare detailed workflow charts and diagrams that describe input, output, and logical operation, and convert them into a series of instructions coded in a computer language
•Consult with and assist testers in the development, SAT and FIT environments
This is a Part-time position and will average approximately 30 hours a week.
Location of work is 100% remote from home.
•Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university required; an additional four (4) years of related work experience can substitute for a degree
•At least eight (8) years of relevant experience required
•At least four (4) years of experience with IBM COBOL programming language
•Knowledge of IRS processing systems, particularly the Tax Return Database (TRDB)
•Good verbal and written communication skills
•Demonstrated success in client support
•Ability to interface with all levels of management
•Ability to perform complex tasks with minimal supervision and guidance
•Excellent time management, scheduling and organizational skills
•Ability to work well independently or in a team setting
•Preferred qualifications and experience include: experience with DB2 and IBM utilities
Additional Requirements, as per Contract/Client:
•Candidates must have held an active IRS MBI clearance within the last 2 years to qualify.
•Candidates must be a US Citizen or a Legal Permanent Resident (Green Card status) for at least three (3) years, and Federal Tax compliant
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead the development of software solutions that will meet or exceed business requirements; the development effort includes designing and implementing modules to the system specifications, conducting unit testing, troubleshooting issues and producing detailed proposals to resolve issues.
- May evaluate new coding techniques, tools, modules, and implementation as appropriate.
- Lead and mentor entry and mid-level developers.
- Consult on requirements elicitation and definition.
- Design software solutions per systems requirements.
- Code software solutions per designs.
- Code reviews, unit test, and integrate coded modules.
- Assist other developers in resolving issues by providing guidance and training.
- Support testing and remediate defects.
- Support users through troubleshooting and analysis of production logs and data.
- Investigate new solutions, tools, products, and techniques to incorporate into coding standards.
- Requires a minimum of 8 years of related experience with a Bachelor’s degree; or 6 years with a Master’s degree; or equivalent experience.
- Ability to perform complex tasks with minimal supervision and guidance.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Part-Time Worker Job Profile.
Since 1975, MAXIMUS has operated under its founding mission of Helping Government Serve the People, enabling citizens around the globe to successfully engage with their governments at all levels and across a variety of health and human services programs. MAXIMUS delivers innovative business process management and technology solutions that contribute to improved outcomes for citizens and higher levels of productivity, accuracy, accountability and efficiency of government-sponsored programs. With more than 30,000 employees worldwide, MAXIMUS is a proud partner to government agencies in the United States, Australia, Canada, Saudi Arabia, Singapore and the United Kingdom. For more information, visit https://www.maximus.com.
EEO Statement: Active military service members, their spouses, and veteran candidates often embody the core competencies MAXIMUS deems essential, and bring a resiliency and dependability that greatly enhances our workforce. We recognize your unique skills and experiences, and want to provide you with a career path that allows you to continue making a difference for our country. We’re proud of our connections to organizations dedicated to serving veterans and their families. If you are transitioning from military to civilian life, have prior service, are a retired veteran or a member of the National Guard or Reserves, or a spouse of an active military service member, we have challenging and rewarding career opportunities available for you. A committed and diverse workforce is our most important resource. MAXIMUS is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. MAXIMUS provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status or disabled status.