|Published||September 14, 2023|
Job Title : Mainframe Cobol Operations Specialist
Location : Washington, DC (Remote Job)
Hybrid, Remote, Onsite : Remote Job
Work with existing teams to support coding changes to existing applications.
Some of these applications are currently written in COBOL and run via JCL in batches.
Other applications are run over the Jenkins platform and coded in scripting languages (Groovy & Python).
Expected to be familiar with legacy Mainframe projects.
Expected to facilitate, monitor, and support essential programs written in COBOL in a backup capacity.
Accountable for monitoring essential daily process runs, responding to any possible issues that may arise during any jobs run. Platforms monitored include (Jenkins, CA7, Mainframe)
Diagnose, fix, and restart production and test jobs that have abended for one reason or another.
Assistant project and development managers to define the scope and develop plan for the project deliverables.
Accountable for specific development tasks
Accountable for meeting the milestones set for projects and day to day tasks.
Conduct code review, unit testing and integration testing.
Excellent application performance tuning skills
Experience with Oracle and SQL
25% Accountable for monitoring essential daily process runs, responding to any possible issues that may arise during any jobs run. Platforms monitored include (Jenkins, CA7, Mainframe
25% Diagnose, fix, and restart production and test jobs that have abended for one reason or another
20% Analyzes and implements functional requirements and designs, implements, and tests software. Performs operations & maintenance (O&M) of existing systems. Identifies areas for improvement and streamlining.
15% Writes system design and application code documentation. Gathers, analyzes, and composes technical information. Extend open-source libraries and systems as necessary to meet the needs of the team.
10% Analyzes data and provides expertise in interpreting results and gathers and documents technical and functional user requirements and specifications.
5% Participates in regular meetings, providing status on current tasks. Participates in peer reviews of software development artifacts. Continuous learning of technologies trends, and best practices.
- Education Level: Bachelor's Degree
- Education Details: Information Technology or Computer Science
- Experience: 5-6 years software development experience in object-oriented language
- In lieu of a Bachelor's degree, an additional 4 years of relevant work experience is required in addition to the required work experience.
- Mainframe Developer with strong JCL scripting skills to run batch jobs.
- Minimum of 5-6 years of professional software experience in COBOL and relevant mainframe technologies.
- Experience with IBM mainframe technologies
- Able to work in Z series (z/OS Unix) environments with TSO/ISPF interface. Use ISPF COMMANDS: SORT, LOCATE, RESET, FLIP, COMPARE…
- Able to schedule jobs, initiate batch jobs, define triggers and minor status of jobs in queues with IBM CA-7 Mainframe Job Scheduling Package
- Able to use IBM JCL scripting skills to run batch jobs
- Able to work with mainframe file structures; Catalog data set (CATLG), create GDG file, etc.
- Experience with developing and maintaining COBOL programs with strong debugging skills
Azaharuddin Syed | Senior US IT Recruiter.
Charter Global Technologies | https://www.charterglobal.com
Office # 770 326 9933 Ext # 385
Mobile # +1 (732) 623-3638 | [Click Here to Email Your Resumé]