|Published||June 14, 2022|
One of our clients is looking Cobol Programmer based on the following skills:
Top Skills & Years of Experience: A qualified candidate would have at least 5 years of Mainframe experience with COBOL, JCL, CICS and working with a DB2 Database. Additionally, the candidate should have experience using change management to promote code and have worked in an environment using agile project management.
Interview Process: VIA MS Teams
Duration: more than 1 year
Onsite or Remote? 100% remote is available, however, travel to the office may be required at times. Travel expenses to the office are not covered by the agency.
Additional details: Contractors are required to follow all worksite COVID 19 safety protocols, including reporting vaccination status and testing if required.
This position request is for a COBOL MF Programmer V to augment the mainframe development team due to increased workload due to required operational activities, changes due to federal and state mandates, and modernization project needs. This new position will also be required to analyze code in legacy applications to assist with current business rules, processes, and to help develop future requirements. The existing mainframe development team performs critical operational activities to ensure monthly payroll processing, as well as daily, monthly, quarterly, and annual operations are processing successfully and maintained for applications developed on the mainframe environment 24x7x365. These applications primarily serve the retirement or pension system and are critical for ETF's members, employers, and retirees. The mainframe development team is foundational to designing, developing, implementing, and maintaining the WEBs suite of applications and any required changes made to them to meet federal, state, and local mandates, system enhancements, or modernization integration needs.
Under the general supervision of an Application Development Bureau supervisor, this position provides advanced-level applications development work on highly complex, multi-platform mainframe and web-based business applications. This position performs work in all phases of the systems development life cycle, which includes requirements gathering, design, development, testing, implementation, enhancements and maintenance. The majority of work performed by this position will be related to the analyses, design and development of new applications and the support of existing applications. This position is expected to deliver high-quality applications and associated end-products that cost-effectively meet the business areas’ requirements and timelines.
In doing application development, this position is expected to create, promote, make full use of and follow all applicable ETF and state standards, policies and best practices. This includes but is not limited to the use of a code repository, code promotion policies, change management, problem tracking, business rules documentation, reports/forms/correspondence standards, mainframe integration, and project management. This position is required to have extensive experience in analysis, design and coding principles and concepts, in addition to developing an in-depth knowledge of the customers’ business processes. The principal development tools currently include Java, DB2, COBOL, CICS, and JCL.
Further, this position should work well both as a member of development teams under the direction of the project manager, or as directed to function as the project lead.
GOALS AND ACTIVITIES
GOAL A: Research, design, development, implementation, and support of highly complex applications following ETF and state standards, policies, and best practices.
- Use standard business analysis techniques such as interviews, focus groups, or observation to identify and document the business requirements.
- Analyze alternative methods of meeting business requirements to determine the most feasible and cost beneficial method of meeting the requirements.
- Design applications following ETF’s application design standards and style guidelines, including good usability and accessibility practices. Document the application design to permit management and peer-group review.
- Provide the advanced-level technical expertise in the design of highly complex aspects of applications in conjunction with application technical architecture and technical support staff to ensure that the design will meet business user requirements while also meeting requirements of system integrity and audibility, and meeting objectives for data integration and network usage.
- Coordinate the development of systems and integration with other existing and developing systems to ensure the system is compatible. Review and verify technical feasibility and the integration of systems and software into IT’s application and technical architecture.
- Write or modify highly complex computer programs using ETF’s standard development tools and approaches, such as a structured programming approach.
- Ensure that all applications are written so as to minimize the exposure of personal information to unauthorized persons.
- Write application code resistant to security breaches by following ETF’s security coding best practices and through appropriate testing, including the use of code analyzer tools.
- Develop and coordinate a test plan that complies with ETF’s test methodology to assure that all portions of the application are thoroughly tested and acceptable to business users and IT prior to implementation.
- Diagnose and resolve complex application problems.
- Train end users and operations staff to ensure that operational roles are understood.
- Perform data conversion from existing automated or manual systems to new ones in order to provide continuity of business functions and avoid unnecessary disruption.
- Ensure effective operation of critical systems by timely - often immediate - response to system malfunctions and problems; respond to business users’ problems, requests and plans.
- Automate repeatable processes using batch programs and scheduling technologies.
- Consult and/or provide assistance to other IS staff on system problems, program problems and general techniques.
- Perform prime-shift and non-prime shift on-call support as directed.
GOAL B: Leadership of programmer/analysts in development and enhancement projects, working with business users and vendor staff to maintain and enhance systems.
- Function as the system or subsystem expert for planning and implementing system changes. Coordinate the development of changes with other existing and developing systems or subsystems to ensure integration and compatibility.
- Provide information, direction, mentoring, and training to more junior developers on development tools, techniques, policies, business-area knowledge, and customer relationship management.
- Act as technical liaison between business user and application development staff. Interact with business users to ensure that the system product will meet requirements.
- Prepare system development plans to ensure that project staff and management have a clear understanding of project direction. Review vendor work plans.
- Lead business process redefinition studies.
- Prepare conceptual reports and management presentations to concisely inform management and other interested parties of technical capabilities. Prepare inputs to budget requirements for continued operations of systems.
- Prepare status reports for management to highlight progress, identify obstacles, and recommend action in meeting project schedules. Review vendor status reports.
- Track system problems and their resolution using ETF’s IT request system. Investigate and analyze system problems and design solutions
- Provide technical and subsystem-specific information and advice to both business user and vendor staff. Interact with technical support, operations and vendor staff to ensure coordination of their efforts with project team efforts.
- Participate in management and peer group reviews to ensure the quality of the system project and to obtain required sign-offs. Ensure that staff follows all applicable quality assurance standards.
- Provide assistance with the analysis of performance data related to new technology systems and with the development of techniques to optimize the use of computer resources.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of the uses and applications of the COBOL programming language.
- Knowledge of the uses and applications of CICS.
- Knowledge of the uses and applications of stored procedures.
- Knowledge of structured application development and design methods.
- Knowledge of relation database concepts, including technologies such as DB2 or similar.
- Knowledge of the uses and applications of the SQL programming language and concepts.
- Knowledge of application systems, multi-tier technologies.
- Knowledge of code repository technologies.
- Knowledge of problem tracking software technologies.
- Knowledge of application development life cycle processes.
- Knowledge of business analysis and application design techniques and prototyping.
- Knowledge of application test methodologies and procedures.
- Knowledge of application documentation methods.
- Knowledge of good security practices for all phases of application development.
- Knowledge of information management processes.
- Knowledge of project management methodologies and deliverables.
- Effective oral communication skills.
- Effective written communication skills.
- Leadership skills.
- Ability to work effectively as a member of a team.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with a variety of persons internal and external to the work section.
The successful candidate may have to undergo a drug test and background check.
Digitek Software, Inc.
650 Radio Drive
Lewis Center, OH 43035
- provided by Dice